mardi 16 février 2010

Heartbreak hotel for St-Velentine's day

Oh well (eeore voice). Spent my first night in a hospital. The good news: I've got an excellent heart very unlike what I thought I had. You see the Moose's heart has always been on the slow side (read 45 BPM at rest) and so I sometimes wondered if there wasn't something wrong with it. After all, I'm no gazelle and if my heart was so good, then why wasn't I getting a great performance out of it? Couple that with family tall tales of great uncles dying suddenly at 40 and you have a great recipe for the runner's boggeyman: the sudden heart attack. Death while running.
Well after a little scare in the pool this week, dizziness, lack of balance, painful left arm and so on, I decided to get it all checked out. It turns out my heart is a very good, peaceful machine, intent on doing great work, but slowly, at its own pace. The cardiologist got a good laugh looking at my echo and I got relief from knowing that I'm fine. I still have two more tests to go through in the next few months.

In other news, the racing season is about to start with... you guessed it: Lasalle. Yes. The race where I once got lost and where I try, year after year to break the wall of sound (30 minutes for a 5KM). I will keep you posted. The race is on March 20th.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire